Department of Motor Vehicles

Permit and New-to-State Testing

We are now providing Driver's License Permit Testing and New To State Testing at our facility!

Testing is done 8:00-3:15 M-F for $10 per test.

Driver Manuals are available to purchase in our office
Class D - $7.00
Motorcycle - $7.00
Commercial CDL- $10.00

If you prefer to view the manual online, the web site is

Motor Vehicle Office

We are now accepting all walk-in's!

We would like to encourage our customers to support their local DMV office by renewing their registration in person!

Save time by pre-applying for your Driver's License by going to:

For customers with registration renewals: We will continue to offer a drop-box option. Included with the registration renewal form, we will need a contact number, a form of payment, and insurance information. These renewals will be collected at the drop box located in the Motor Vehicle Entrance across from the door at 412 4th Street, Moose Lake, MN 55767 and will be returned to you via mail. 

Documents needed for Permit issuance: Customers will need to bring a certified birth certificate, their blue card, and their Social Security card. If you are under the age of 18 a parent signature will also be required.

New To State Customers: Customers new to the state with a Class D driver's license will need to bring a valid driver's license, a birth certificate or passport, their Social Security card, and proof of any name changes

Real ID's and Enhanced (EDL): We are currently processing Real ID's and the Enhanced (EDL) in our office. Go to to read instructions and obtain information on the documents required to apply for these types of driver's licenses. Due to the length of time required to facilitate these transactions, processing of Real ID's and Enhanced (EDL's) will not take place after 3:30pm each day.

COVID-19 Updates:

  • Real ID & Enhanced Driver's Licenses deadlines have been extended to May 2023.
  • The Moose Lake Motor Vehicle office will accept drop-off or mailed tab renewals. Our drop-off box is located in the Motor Vehicle Entrance across from the door at 412 4th, Moose Lake MN 55767. Our mailing address is 412 4th St, PO Box 870, Moose Lake, MN 55767.
  • For drop off and mail options, you MUST include your renewal slip (or a note with ALL required vehicle info) AND insurance company name, policy number, full expiration date AND check or money order (no cash) AND your phone number.

Available Services


  • Renewals of Current Driver's Licenses (Social Security number required)
  • State ID's (bring correct forms of ID) ID Requirements
  • Print Driver's License Requirements due to Violations
  • Renewal of MN Permits
  • Duplicate Driver's License/Name change with CERTIFIED court order documents
  • Under 18 Driver's License or Permits (must be accompanied by parent or guardian
  • Accept reinstatement fees and print reinstatement requests 


  • Snowmobile/Watercraft/ATV transfers and renewals
  • Titled boat applications
  • Snowmobile & ATV maps available

BILL OF SALE required on ALL transfer of DNR applications. Titled boats can only be transferred with current title.

What Our Office DOES NOT Provide:

  • We cannot process CDL permits. This needs to be completed at an exam station.